Invisalign is a clear aligner system that gives you an easy and discreet alternative to traditional braces. You can get the same results without all the metal, wires, and brackets, so you can straighten your smile without disrupting your life. Invisalign is an excellent choice if you want something subtle—but what exactly is it, and how does it work? Our team here at Levin Orthodontics has put together your guide to Invisalign treatment for everything you need to know. Keep reading to find out more!
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable plastic trays, or aligners, to give you a healthier, straighter smile. These trays use a particular type of thermoplastic resin that’s strong enough to move your teeth into alignment. We’ll create a series of aligners customized for your smile that will gently shift your teeth according to Dr. Levin’s treatment plan.
How does Invisalign work?
You’ll start with a free consultation with Dr. Levin in our Sandy Springs or Marietta office. We’ll discuss your orthodontic needs and decide if Invisalign is right for you. Next, we’ll start the process of custom-designing aligners specific to your smile.
We’ll take a highly detailed 3D scan of your teeth and gums to map out a precise treatment plan to meet your needs. This plan will include the exact movements we want your teeth to make and how long your treatment will take.
Your custom aligners will be created from Invisalign’s SmartTrack® material based on the images from your scans. You’ll wear between 10 and 48 of these comfortable plastic trays during treatment, with the total treatment time averaging between 5 and 15 months. You’ll need to wear the aligners for 20-22 hours daily throughout treatment.
During treatment, you will switch to a new set of aligners every one to three weeks based on your treatment plan. We will schedule check-ups with our Sandy Springs or Marietta office every four to eight weeks.
Benefits of Invisalign over traditional treatment
Invisalign is a more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing solution than traditional metal braces, but the benefits extend beyond that!
Food restrictions are the most challenging part of braces treatment for many, but since Invisalign is completely removable, you can enjoy your favorite foods without worry. You take them out anytime you want to eat or drink anything other than water, meaning no food restrictions and a lot more fun!
Removable aligners also make a difference to your oral hygiene routine. Unfortunately, the wires, brackets, and bands accompanying traditional braces can make brushing and flossing difficult or time-consuming. With Invisalign, you remove your aligners before brushing and flossing.
Invisalign can be a huge bonus when you’re playing a contact sport, certain instruments, or even just on those special occasions where you want your natural smile to be the only thing shining through.
Who can use Invisalign?
Invisalign is great for most adult and teen patients with common orthodontic issues. However, more complicated cases may require more precise tooth control than a removable aligner can achieve. During your initial complimentary consultation with Levin Orthodontics, we can determine if Invisalign is right for you or if another treatment would be better.
What happens once Invisalign treatment is complete?
Like with traditional treatment, you’ll need to wear a retainer after treatment to keep your teeth in their new, straighter positions. We’ll give you custom-made retainers when you finish treatment and instructions on how to use and care for them.
Cleaning your Invisalign aligners
There are several effective methods for cleaning your aligners, some needing to be revised! To keep your trays in good shape, follow these dos and don’ts.
- Rinse your aligners when you remove them since dry saliva and plaque can breed bacteria.
- Soak your aligners using denture cleaner or Invisalign cleaning crystals to keep your trays clear and sanitized.
- Brush and floss your teeth before you put your aligner back in to keep harmful particles from getting trapped.
- Clean your aligners with a clear antibacterial soap to keep them fresh and free from bacteria.
- Brush your aligners gently and carefully. Brushing too hard can scratch your aligners and leave visible marks.
- Eat or drink anything but water while you’re wearing your aligners. Many foods and drinks can stain or discolor your aligners, and some may even cause odors.
- Use toothpaste to clean your aligners. The abrasive agents that can make your teeth sparkle will have the opposite effect on your aligner and can also create small traps for bacteria.
- Leave your aligners unprotected when they’re not in your mouth, as this can expose them to harmful germs and bacteria. Rinse them, soak them, and then rinse them again before returning them to your mouth.
- Soak your aligners in any mouthwash.
- Put them in hot liquid of any kind!
Enjoy freedom while you straighten your smile with Levin Orthodontics
If you’re in Sandy Springs, Marietta, or the surrounding areas and want more information on how Invisalign can improve your smile, give us a call today and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Levin. We’re excited to help you find your best smile!